A flight review is like a check up when you visit a medical doctor. They will review your current health and provide recommendations for your future health. There is no way to fail a check up with a doctor, and you might learn something helpful!
A flight review, or an equivalent course of training through the FAA Wings Program is required every 24 months for a pilot to act as Pilot in Command (PIC) of an aircraft. During a Flight Review, I will review your flight proficiency and make recommendations if needed for your future flying.
If you need a Flight Review, please schedule one with me before your current Flight Review expires. Book a Flight Review on the following link:
The FAA no longer uses the term “Biennial Flight Review.”
This term implied that pilots only needed currency training once every 24 months. The FAA encourages currency training as often as appropriate to a pilot’s individual needs. Consequently, the FAA now uses the term:
The purpose of the flight review is to provide for a regular evaluation of pilot skills and aeronautical knowledge. In fact, the FAA specifically reminds flight instructors that:
“The CFI should be aware that the Flight Review is not a test or checkride, but rather a training event in which proficiency is evaluated.”
While the FAA guidance states that a pilot cannot fail a Flight Review, you must still meet the Airman Certification Standards (ACS) / Practical Test Standards (PTS) to be granted an endorsement by a Flight Instructor. If you don’t meet these standards, I will log training given in your logbook and then we will schedule additional training time to meet the ACS/PTS* requirements.
A Flight Review requires a minimum of 1 hour of ground training, and 1 hour of flight training to be completed every 24 months. We can accomplish this together by completing:
- Discuss Part 91 regulations for an hour with a Flight Instructor.
- Complete Gold Seal’s Flight Review program and send me the certificate.
- Complete Sporty’s Flight Review app and send me proof of completion.
- Complete the FAA Wings Flight Review program requirements and send me proof of completion.
- Fly with me for the required 1 hour minimum in accordance with Part 61.56.
- Complete 3 flying events under the FAA Wings program.
Additional links for information about the Flight Review:
FAA Wings Flight Review Option 1: 3 Courses and/or Seminars and 3 Flights.
FAA Wings Flight Review Option 2: Flight Review Course of Instruction.
* My $75 fee for a flight review is based on the assumption that you will meet all ACS/PTS standards during our first scheduled flight. IF ACS/PTS standards are not met, I will log the flight as dual instruction given. If additional flights are required, they will be scheduled and billed separately.